Kenya Full Year 2018: Toyota Land Cruiser Pickup takes charge in market up 30.6%
The Toyota Land Cruiser 70 pick-up is the best-selling vehicle in Kenya in 2018.
New vehicle sales in Kenya rally back up 30.6% year-on-year in 2018 to 14.003 units. Isuzu remains by far the most popular carmaker in the country thanks to strong medium and heavy truck sales, but trails the market at +20% resulting in a reduced share at 31.7% vs. 34.4% a year ago. In contrast, Toyota (+66%) continues to gallop ahead, reaching 26.6% share vs. just 20.8% in 2017. Mitsubishi (+24%) remains in third place but sees its share thaw to 12.9%, while Maruti (+778%) is up 9-fold on its 2017 score and 13 ranks to topple fellow Indian carmaker Tata (+3%) from the 4th place overall. Subaru (+145%) and Hyundai (+71%) also make themselves noticed. Model-wise, the top of the ranking is reshuffled with the resurgence of the Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Pickup (+271%) up almost 4-fold on its 2017 result to land in pole position, dislodging the Toyota Hilux (+21%) and Isuzu TFR/TFS (+13%) aka D-Max from the top. The Maruti Alto also makes its entrance in the ranking directly at #4 and best-selling passenger car in the country. The rest of the Top 13 is populated with either SUVs or pickups, with the VW Polo Vivo (-15%) and Toyota Corolla (+28%) the next best-selling cars in Kenya.
Full Year 2018 Top 15 brands and models vs. Full Year 2017 figures below.